Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Grilled pizza

So after Isabella's birthday party, we decided to try to make pizza on the grill.  I'd seen it done on many cooking shows and wanted to try it.  For those who might want to try it, here's what I did based on the shows I'd seen and the few recipes/directions I'd found on the internet.

I made the pizza dough, however, it was a rather sticky dough.  If you decide to try this yourself, make sure its a relatively firm dough that can hold its shape when transferred to the grill.

Preheat your grill, then turn burners down to low/medium.
Stretch/roll your dough out.  Since my dough was so sticky, it didn't transfer well and didn't really make a circle at all, even when trying to stretch it out.
Place rolled dough on oiled grill.  Cook on one side for 5-8 min or until the bottom of the crust is cooked (and hopefully not burned).  Here's a pic of the first side cooking.




Remove the crust from the grill and flip so the cooked side is now up.  (Forgot to take a pic before I topped it.)  Put your desired topping on the pizza and place back on the grill.  The uncooked side of the crust is now against the grill grates.  Here's one of ours topped and about to finish cooking.


Continue to grill another 5-10 minutes or until crust is done and the cheese is melted and bubbly.  Here's our finished pizza.


Definitely a thinner crust works best.  The crust we were able to get rolled the thinnest was the best of the pizzas we made.  Some of my family was skeptical, but they tasted really good. 

One tip - keep the grill closed as much as possible.  This makes it a very similar environment to an oven.  Definitely a great way to make pizza without heating up your house.

My next grilling adventure will be "baking" bread on the grill.  I love that our new grill has a thermometer to tell me what the temperature inside the grill is so that I can use it similar to an oven.

No comments: