Friday, July 17, 2009

Pickles anyone?

So we went to a Farmer's Market yesterday and one of the stands had pickling cucumbers for $1 per pound. That's a really good price. So I bought about 5 1/2 pounds of cucumbers. This morning I cut the ends off and cut them into spears and put them into ice water. Evidently soaking them in ice water for up to 4 hours makes them more crisp. Who knew? Then at lunchtime, I cooked up the brine and packed cucumbers into pint size jars. Once the cucumbers were packed and the brine poured over them, there were 10 pints of dill pickles to be processed in the canner. Luckily they don't process very long. So after another little bit, I have 10 jars of pickles sitting on my counter just waiting to be eaten. But you're supposed to let them sit for at least 24 hours before trying them. We'll see if I can wait that long. Oh and just a note, I found out that the padded shelf liners work great to put the hot jars on rather than using a towel. Here's a picture of my handy work.



I'll let you know later how they turned out.

No comments: